The Town of Richburg is located in the Olde English District of South Carolina and is rich with history.
The early settlers in this area were mainly Scots-Irish from Virginia and Pennsylvania who began immigrating to the Upcountry of South Carolina in the 1750s after so many of the colonists living in the Northern colonies were killed by the French and Indians. As the colonists migrated south, they settled in what are now the five great Irish counties in South Carolina called Lancaster, York, Chester, Fairfield, and Newberry.
In the mid 1800s, a New York preacher by the name of Miller worked out a chart that proved the world would come to an end on March 15, 1843. He had lots of followers called Millerites all up and down the East Coast. After selecting a high elevation from which to view the end of the world, the Millerites in this area obediently set about putting their affairs in order, constructed temporary shacks, and awaited the coming of the great day. Only the rich could afford to stop work and live on accumulated supplies of food. The less wealthy people in the community could not afford to stop work and ridiculed the Millerites. They called the place where they had settled Rich Hill. When the night passed without mishap, and the sun rose as usual the next morning, the people lost faith in the Prophet Miller. They found the so-called Rich Hill a pleasant place to live so they began to construct permanent homes.
About this time the people applied for a post office for Rich Hill, but since there was already a Rich Hill in Lancaster County, the people decided to name the post office Richburg. The exact date is not known for the founding of the Richburg Post Office.
In about 1878, the railroad came through Richburg. It was a narrow gauge connecting Chester with Lancaster. It was a new method of transportation to the people of Richburg. Each train was met with friendly greetings, for there was always someone coming or going on it. It made as many as four trips a day carrying passengers, mail, and cotton to and from Lancaster.
The earliest records show Richburg’s first form of town government was in effect sometime before 1897. An act to incorporate the Town of Richburg was made to the General Assembly on December 24, 1889.
The mayor and council seats were made two-year terms in 1965, having previously been for one year. In the June 1967 election, registration certificates were required for the first time in over 30 years and ballots were printed.
In 1965, Chester County’s enormous water line was constructed from the Catawba River along SC Highway 9 through Richburg. The town bought and installed five fire hydrants within the town limits. A new lighting system replaced some of the older street lights with the installation of 28 new lights. Land was purchased for a fire department and new town hall.
In 1979, the town purchased property beside the railroad track in the center of town from two local landowners to create a park for the people of this area. In 2006 and again in 2010, the town park underwent updating and improvements.
With the opening of a 12-mile stretch of I-77 between SC Highway 21 at Rock Hill and SC Highway 9 near Richburg on December 19, 1980, approximately 44 miles of the 75-mile interstate route was completed and opened to traffic. With the opening of I-77, the mayor and council were instrumental in bringing the infrastructure to this area which enabled the industries to begin locating here.
In 1998, the Richburg Town Hall moved down the street into what was formerly Armstrong’s Grocery, a town landmark. The old store was renovated making it possible for the Olde English District Tourism Commission to also have their visitors’ bureau inside the town hall until their move to The Gateway Conference Center in 2011. The magistrate’s office was located in the end of the building until 2010. The Chester District Genealogical Society is also located in this building.
In June 1999, ThyssenKrupp Steel Services dedicated a new building for their expanding business. It was the first major industry to locate within the town limits of Richburg.
A few weeks before the dedication of the new fire department in September 2012, Richburg Fire Chief John Agee announced that a Tornado Warning System had been installed and tested in July. The money to purchase the Tornado Warning System was donated to the Richburg Fire Department by the Town of Richburg.
The public dedication of the new two-story Richburg Fire and Rescue building was held in September 2012. It is located at 3694 Lancaster Highway, Richburg, SC.
Our town logo, “History and Progress”, reflects Richburg as being a progressive town with a proud heritage and a vision for the future.